Jackie Brown Jr are the Sydney-based supergroup unleashing a flurry of funk, soul and hip-hop infused indie rock. Featuring members of Good Pash, DOBBY, and The Buoys, they boast a wealth of instrumental talent and a cracking live show.
A favourite of the Sydney live scene, they've sold out a bunch of headline shows in addition to supporting the likes of Montaigne, Dear Seattle and Donny Benét. They're embarking on their first tour since 2019 in support of their new single 'Happy (You Wanna Be)'.
To celebrate, we caught up with Jackie Brown Jr as they reminisced about their five most memorable touring experiences.
1. We drove 6 hours and through a massive dust storm to play in Griffith, NSW for Hilary’s dad’s birthday. It was a pretty raucous evening - we ended up playing for about 7 hours straight (with a guest harmonica player jumping up!) before heading back to Syd the next morning.
2. It’s always extra special to have friends and old band members get up onstage with us. Ben McDermott is an absolute master guitarist (and OG JBJ member!) and he ripped an incredible solo during our song 'Best Friend' last time we played the Gladdy.
3. The time we were staying in an Airbnb in Melbourne and no one had checked the time we needed to leave. Anyway... the host ended up walking in on a chaotic scene of the fire alarm going off, us frantically fanning the kitchen and other people running around cleaning up their things.
4. When we got to Jindabyne to start our 2 night residency and there was no PA, no microphones, and we drove to every other open hotel in the city to find other gear so we could play the show
5. Maybe a not so good tour moment - but the time we thought it was a good idea to drive straight back to Sydney from Melbourne after our gig to make it to Newtown Festival. Ended up hitting a kangaroo and totalling Gideon's car but at least we made it to the gig!
Jackie Brown Jr Tour dates 2021
Friday 11th June - The Illawarra Hotel, Wollongong
Saturday 12th June - Gang Gang Café, Canberra
Friday 18th June - The Lass, Newcastle
Thursday 24th June - Mary's Underground, Sydney
Saturday 17th July - Some Velvet Morning, Melbourne